Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Casa
In the essay "Casa: A partial Remembrance of A Puerto Rico Childhood" by Judith Ortiz Cofer, the author describes how woman gather in the living room on rocking chairs to gossip about men and marriages. Here the author is a child of twelve listening to her grandmother and aunts, while her mother braids her hair. I remember when I was about ten or eleven my sisters and cousins would get together every holiday and just talk about everything they can find to talk about. It was really boring for me because at the time I was interested in things like playing hide and seek, tag, and other games like that. The girls talk about the simplest little things like how they wanna do their hair to things like that. They sit around in the kitchen or sometimes in the bedroom just to separate away from the boys. The older ladies such as my grandma and aunts sit and talk about other things, they tell stories about when they were young and things they miss. There was a story that my grandma told me about when she was young and how she goes out and come home late nights and sitting in the dark was her father waiting there with a belt. I was really interested in her story, I was telling that story to my family and friends. They thought it was a really funny story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment